Friday, July 19, 2013

How the Learning State kept me out of harm's way...and then some

This morning while driving to work I was listening to a training CD from the NLP Master Practitioner series as presented by Drs. Tad and Adriana James. One of the track selections was based on the Learning State, so I figured there was no better time to put myself into the state during my daily commute. I think it's important to note that this portion of the road was a 2-lane oneway stretch. During one particular part Dr. Adriana repeatedly stated "Stop, Look, and Listen" about 2-3x in a row and my Unconscious Mind responded accordingly. I was approaching a recently turned yellow traffic light and I was about to continue through to make the light but my UM chose to listen to Dr. Adriana's statement of "Stop..." and I began slowing down (rather than speeding up as I normally would have done). Suddenly an unsuspecting driver mistakingly turned into my lane going the wrong way and because my UM chose to slow down I was able to avoid a very near head-on collision. It wasn't until a few seconds later that the potential disastrous situation actually dawned on me.

Score 1 point for Learning State.

During my commute home my UM again responded to the CD and my surroundings. By this time I had finished listening to the CD and decided to re-listen to the section on Metaphors. One of the stories had to do with a shepherd and his sheep. Once again my UM responded to hearing the word "flock" over and over because from out of my peripheral vision I noticed something familiar. I glanced to the left and noticed an office building named after someone whose last name was "Flock." As I laughed to myself I casually swept my focus from my left side back to the center of the road and upon doing so I noticed a police vehicle hiding two doors down between a building and some bushes. Now, haha, I'm not going to say anything incriminating or advocate speeding but I may or may not have been exceeding the preferred speed limit. Yes, I slowed down.

Score another point for Learning State

No comments:

Post a Comment